Family Of Six Burnt In Midnight Attack

0
250

The
police in Kaduna have launched an investigation into the killing of
six members of a family during a midnight attack on a village in Zangon-Kataf
area of Kaduna state.
Eyewitness accounts said that
unidentified gunmen invaded the Madauchi community in that area at about 11.30
pm on Wednesday and started shooting sporadically after which they surrounded
the house of one Yakubu Kiyat and set it ablaze, roasting the family of six to
death.

Confirming the incident, Zangon-Kataf
local government Chairman, Gambo Dominic Yahaya, said that, “an attack took
place at Madauchi, near Zonkwa, early this morning during which six people were
shot and killed.

“A building was set ablaze and five
members of one family were burnt beyond recognition. One other person was also
brought out dead but his body was not burnt.”
He noted that the invaders numbering
about 10 disappeared into the bush after the attack.
A resident of the area, Emmanuel
Danboyi, said that, “in the day time, we saw a trailer parked but at about 11pm
when we had gone to bed, we began to hear gun shots for several minutes. 
“I had to evacuate my family to a
safer place and we discovered later that all the people in the house had been
burnt even beyond recognition.”
Some other residents noted further
that the attackers operated for about 30 minutes and that there was no response
from security personnel manning a checkpoint close to the scene of the
incident.
A cross section of youth from the area
matched to the streets yesterday morning protesting the killing and demanded
immediate withdrawal of soldiers from the area.
They contended that if the soldiers
cannot intervene during such attacks, then there was no need for their
continued presence.
One of the protesters, Bala Samaila,
said, “the military have no business being here if they cannot protect us. They
should go. We can protect ourselves.”
Police Public Relations Officer, DSP
Aminu Lawan, said that, “yes, we are aware of the incident at Maduachi village
and investigation is on-going.” 
In his reaction, Governor Patrick
Ibrahim Yakowa described the attack and killing as barbaric.
A statement by Yakowa’s Special
Adviser (Media), Reuben Buhari, said that, “His Excellency, the Executive
Governor of Kaduna State is truly saddened by the gory incident of Wednesday
14th 2011 in Madauchi, Zangon Kataf local government.
“More saddening is the fact that this
incident came when more concerted effort by this government, through the Peace
and Reconciliation Committee, is being made to entrench lasting and sustainable
peace in Kaduna state.
“But even in the face of such
unwarranted and deliberate attempt to incite and create chaos, the state
government will not be deterred in its quest of ensuring a secured and united
Kaduna state.
“Government, while totally condemning
the killing as an act of barbarism, sympathizes with the families of the
departed, His Highness, the Agwam Bajju, Mallam Nuhu Bature, the local
government council and the entire people of the state.
“I urge us all to take comfort and
strength from the fact that this loss is shared by many who truly care for them
and may that give us the courage to face our tomorrow with the hope that peace
will find a permanent abode within our state soonest.”

LEAVE A REPLY

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.