Four feared dead in clash
President Goodluck Jonathan has shelved his planned trip to Kano following the emergence of former Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN) Governor Sanusi Lamido Sanusi as emir.
The police yesterday sealed off the palace, fueling reports of a plot by the Federal Government to stop Sanusi from ascending the throne.
Sanusi got his letter of appointment and staff of office from Kano State Governor Rabiu Kwankwaso at Government House yesterday.
The President was expected to pay a condolence visit to Kano yesterday, but the trip, sources said, was cancelled on Sunday night following Sanusi’s emergence.
A source said: “The President wanted to be in Kano on Monday (yesterday) but the emergence of Sanusi and the protests that accompanied it made the President to stay away from any controversy.
“I think the President may find a more auspicious time to be in Kano. He loves the people of the state; he shares their pain on the loss of the late emir.”
It was gathered that the protest that greeted Sanusi’s choice on Sunday was instigated.
A source said one of the contestants for the stool may go to court to challenge Sanusi’s emergence. Yesterday, Sanusi waved the olive branch, urging his fellow contestants to join hands with him in running the emirate.
Some forces are pushing for the maintenance of the status quo once the dispute over the stool is in court to deny Sanusi access to the palace.
The source said: “The police have deployed some of their men in the palace to protect it for security reasons. These policemen were drafted to the palace on Sunday night after the emergence of the new Emir.
“The police said they were acting on intelligence report including the invasion of the Emir’s personal room in the palace by some people who stole some items. They said they are investigating the theft.
“There is however a strong suspicion that the policemen were brought to the place to stop Sanusi from having access to the palace following protests.
“They are under stern instruction not to allow any person, including the new Emir, from entering the palace until all issues surrounding the appointment are resolved.”
Responding to a question, the source added: “The police might have got wind of plans to go to court by some people to stop the installation of Sanusi.
“They said they expect all stakeholders to stick to the status quo.”
Findings also revealed that a tight security ring had been woven around the four kingmakers, Alhaji Yusuf Nabani (Madakin Kano); Alhaji Sarki Abdullahi (Makaman Kano); Alhaji Bello Tuta (Sarki Dawaki Mai-Tuta); and Alhaji Mukhtar Adnan (Sarki Bai).
Another source added: “Some riot policemen have been provided for the kingmakers to protect them from any harm.
“Virtually everyone is besieging the kingmakers to know what really transpired at their session on Saturday and Sunday.
“So, these kingmakers are central to the appointment of a new Emir and aftermath in Kano. This is why they are being protected.”
The plot to stop Sanusi’s installation is believed to have been hatched by some aggrieved princes and bigwigs in Kano.
A third source added: “Those aggrieved have perfected their papers which they would file a court in Kano any moment from now.”
Youths barricaded the gate of the Palace and some streets leading the to the turbaning of Alhaji Sanusi Lamido Sanusi as the new Emir of Kano yesterday.
Fierce-looking soldiers and riot policemen have been drafted to prevent the irate mob from vandalising the Palace.
Some youths said they have been there since Sunday.
“We have been sleeping here for the past two days since the announcement of Alhaji Sanusi Lamido Sanusi as the new Emir by Governor Rabi’u Musa Kwankwaso’s government”, they said.
Security men blocked the gate leading to the Palace with their vehicles to prevent the protesters from entering.
Contacted on telephone, Kano State Commissioner of Police Adenrele Shinaba said: “Ours is to take control of security and that is what we are doing.”
The family of the late Emir Ado Bayero is still living inside the Palace contrary to reports that they have been relocated.
Our reporter learnt that four people may have died and several others injured during a clash between Sanusi’s supporters and those who opposed his appointment.
Both groups made bon fires on the road leading to the Emir’s palace and Kofar Nasarawa. The police put out the fire and dispersed the crowd. But they regrouped for another free-for-all.
Source: The Nation
Four feared dead in clash