Nigeria’s Population Hits 193.3m, Says NBS Report

0
142

 

  • 6,803 injured in 2,478 road crashes in 2017 third quarter

Nigeria’s population is now 193,392,517 and there are about 11,547,236 vehicles of various types across the federation, the National Bureau of Statistics (NBS) has said.

In a report titled: “Road Transport Data (Q3 2017)”, the NBS also indicates that excessive speed was the leading cause of injuries for 6,803 victims involved in 2,478 road accidents during the third quarter of 2017 alone.

According to the report, 72.0 per cent of road accident victims are men. Women constitute 22.4 per cent as male and female children account for 3.2 per cent and 2.5 per cent.

“Speed violation is reported as the major cause of road crashes in Q3 and it accounted for 44.51% of the total road crashes reported.

“Loss of control and dangerous driving followed closely as they both accounted for 10.41% and 9.52% of the total road crashes recorded.

“A total of 6,803 Nigerians got injured in the road traffic crashes recorded.”

It added that “6,419 of the 6,803 Nigerians that got injured, representing 94.4 per cent of the figure, are adults while the remaining 384 Nigerians, representing 5.7 per cent of the figure are children”.

According to the bureau, “5,110 male Nigerians, representing 75 per cent, got injured in road crashes in Q3 while 1,693 female Nigerians, representing 25 per cent, got injured.

“Similarly, a total of 1,070 Nigerians got killed in the road traffic crashes recorded in Q3.

“A total of 981 of the 1,070 Nigerians that got killed, representing 91.7 per cent of the figure, are adults while the remaining 89 Nigerians, representing 8.3 per cent of the figure are children.” The report said “815 male Nigerians, representing 76.2 per cent, got killed in road crashes in Q3 while 255 female Nigerians, representing 23.8 per cent got killed”.

The NBS gave details of leading category of vehicles involved in road crashes, states with the highest and lowest frequencies of road accidents along with states with the highest numbers of drivers’ licence and number plates.

“Data on the category of vehicles involved in road crashes in Q3 2017 reflected that 58 per cent of vehicles are commercial (2,000), 40.6 per cent are private (1,401), 1.4 per cent are government (48) and the remaining are diplomat (0).

“FCT recorded the highest number of road crashes in Q3 2017 and closely followed by Kaduna and Kogi states while Borno and Bayelsa states recorded the least.

“A total of 200,565 national drivers licences were produced in Q3 2017; Lagos and FCT produced the highest number of drivers’ licences while Zamfara and Kebbi states produced the least numbers of national drivers’ licences.

“Similarly, a total of 75,958 vehicle number plates were produced in Q3 2017; Delta and FCT produced the highest number of vehicle plate numbers while Ekiti and Rivers states produced the least numbers of vehicle plate numbers in Q3 2017,” the NBS stated.

 

LEAVE A REPLY