Today, the House of Representatives honoured one of the nation’s exceptional and accomplished detective, Deputy Commissioner of Police, Abba Kyari, Commander, IGP Intelligence Response Team (IRT) of the Nigerian Police Force.
The Speaker of the House, Rep. Femi Gbajabiamila commended DCP Abba Kyari for his role in law enforcement and commitment to preserving the lives and peaceful coexistence of the Nigerian people.
He stated that the House in its wisdom deems it worthy to honor Kyari and his team for their selfless service where they put their lives on the line with commitment and extraordinary performance.
The House, Rep. Gbajabiamila stated that the honour for Abba Kayari and his team of officers is in recognition of their track record of excellence over the years. Rep. Gbajabiamila stated that despite the not-too-good image of the police force, there are exemplary individuals worthy of commendation.
The leader of the House, Rep. Alhassan Ado-Doguwa in reading the citation of DCP Abba Kyari stated that Kyari has about 2 decades of experience with the Nigeria police force where he has served in several capacities and many states of the nation. DCP Kyari the leader stated has undertaken numerous combat and leadership training worldwide which has afforded him the requisite knowledge and expertise to carry out of the numerous feats with his gallant team.
Rep. Alhassan Ado-Doguwa commended DCP Abba Kyari for his commitment to humanity, humility and his staunch belief in oneness and equality between all men.
Rep. Shehu Koko as a retired police officer himself commended the doggedness of DCP Kyari and expressed his pride at being a former officer himself.
Rep. Koko stated with pride that while the world was protesting against the actions of police under the banner of BLACK LIFE MATTERS, DCP Abba Kyari and his team are being honoured.
Rep Koko used the opportunity to ask for more funds for the operations of the Nigeria police, stating that this would ensure better performance of the Nigeria police which will directly translate into better maintenance of peace and order.
Rep. Usman Kumo who is also the House committee chairman on police commended the House for the recognition of DCP Abba Kyari and his team as this sort of recognition is sure to spur the officers to do more in service of the nation.
Rep. Benjamin Kalu stated that he is celebrating the hope that individuals like Abba Kyari brings to the youth of Nigeria to do the right thing and excel in their endeavours. He also stated that the House criticizes the executive when they do wrong, but they also celebrate them when they do the right thing.
He asked DCP Kyari to ensure he leaves his mark of leadership to those coming behind him so Nigerians may have several more Abba Kyaris in Nigeria. Rep. Kabiru Idris commended DCP Kyari for being a detribalized and committed Nigerian.
Rep. Sergius Ogun commended DCP Kyari for his sacrifice for the nation and commitment to mankind. Rep. Ogun urged Kyari not to relent in well-doing.
Rep. Khadija Ibrahim who is DCP Kyari’s direct representative expressed her pride in DCP Abba Kyari and called on the federal government to bestow on him a national honour in commemoration of his contribution to the peace and development of Nigeria.
Rep. Nkeiruka Onyejeocha praised DCP Kyari for his love for Nigeria and for being committed to dogged and hard work despite existing challenges. She stated that these traits of Abba Kyari should encourage Nigerian youth to strive for excellence in their positive endeavours.
Rep. Onyejeocha commended the Speaker of the House for the foresight of honouring deserving Nigerians on the floor of the House as a means of encouraging others to strive for excellence. She wished Abba Kyari, his family and his team God’s guidance.
Rep. Ndudi Elumelu praised the visible family harmony in the life of DCP Kyari which has translated into his professional success.
Rep. Mohammed Monguno commended the excellent nature of DCP Kyari who has shone a bright and highly positive light on the image of the Nigeria police force and children of North-eastern Nigeria.
He recollected DCP Kyari’s efforts in destabilizing the Boko haram insurgents who were threatening to grind all socioeconomic activities of Borno state to a halt. Rep. Monguno commended the Speaker and in effect, the House of Representatives for recognizing the strides of DCP Abba Kyari and other well-deserving Nigerians.
The Speaker of the House, Rep. Femi Gbajabiamila in presenting DCP Abba Kyari with his award stated that there is no greater honour that a Nigerian can receive than from the House of Representatives, as it is the House that represents the entirety of Nigerians right to their roots.
Hence by extension; it is the Nigerian people honouring DCP Abba Kyari. DCP Abba Kyari in his response thanked the leadership and members of the House of Representatives for the honour bestowed upon him and his team. He stressed that the recognition will go a long way in boosting the team morale of the police. He stated that the police is an instrument of keeping the peace and he is indeed proud of this moment.
DCP Kyari dedicated the award to all police officers who have died and paid the ultimate price in the line of duty. He also praised his team for their commitment and sacrifice in ensuring success during operations.
Kyari thanked the House for boosting the morale of Nigerians to remain committed in their endeavours. He also used the opportunity to appeal to the House to visit the issue of better funding for the Nigeria police which will go a long way in boosting the police morale and performance for the development of their peacekeeping role.
The Speaker later presented him with a plaque and a minute silence was observed for some of his men that lost their lives in line of duty.
Here are few of his exploits:
- Arrest of Nigeria’s most notorious kidnap kingpin billionaire kidnapper Chukwudumeme Onwaumadike,aka Evans in Lagos State and his gangmembers,
- Arrest of the killers of former Chief of Defense Staff (CDS) Air Marshal Alex Badeh ‘rtd’ along Keffi-Gitata Kaduna Road,
- Arrest of the most wanted Boko-Haram Commander, Umar Abdulmalik and eight of his terrorists gang members,
- Arrest of 22 Boko-Haram terrorist gang members responsible for the kidnap of the Chibok School girls in 2014 and also responsible for series of suicide bombings/several attacks and ambush against security Agents in Borno, Yobe and Adamawa States.
- Captured the most deadly kidnapper in the history of Nigeria, Henry Chibueze aka “Vampire” in Owerri, Imo State and his gangmembers
- Arrest of the deadly Offa bank robbers that invaded Offa town, Kwara State and robbed five commercial banks, the gang also murdered over 31 innocent Nigerians making it the deadliest bank robberies in the history of Nigeria.
- Arrest of men who kidnapped a serving Assistant Comptroller of Customs In Portharcourt,
- Arrest of a syndicate of kidnappers, armed bandits and their sponsors in Zamfara State, after the gang had kidnapped the twin sisters before their wedding,
- Arrest of deadly armed robbers and murderers who escaped from lawful custody at the SARS Lokoja, Kogi State,
- Arrest of deadly kidnappers responsible for the kidnap/murder of Mr. John Iheanacho, a staff of Nigerian National Petroleum Corporation (NNPC)/President of Eastern Zone Investment Cooperative Society Ltd, in Port-Harcourt, Rivers State,
- Arrest of suspect responsible for the murder of Lieutenant Abubakar Yahaya Yusuf a serving Naval Officer and his girlfriend Miss. Lorraine Onye in Rivers State,
- Arrest of deadly kidnappers responsible for the kidnap of two South African Citizens in Kaduna State,
- Arrest of the Terrorist responsible for the bombing of Kuje and Nyanya towns of Abuja and recovery of primed bombs in the FCT,
- Arrest of deadly kidnappers responsible for the kidnap of two Americans and two Canadians in Kaduna State,
- Arrest Of a notorious criminal who threaten to Kill the Former Vice President of Nigeria Atiku Abubakar and his Family.
- Arrest of the kidnappers of elder statesman Chief Olu Falae in Ondo State,
- Arrest of a gang of deadly killers responsible for the killing of several innocent persons in Benue State and recovery of their operational weapons,
- Arrest of a notorious arms and dealer who specializes in selling arms to armed robbers, kidnappers and politicians in South-West and recovery of over 50 arms and thousands of life ammunition,
- Arrest of the most notorious armed robber in the South-West, Abiodun Egunjobi, aka “Godogodo” in Ibadan, Oyo State. He was responsible for the death of over 500 innocent Nigerians and Police Officers,
- Arrest of the kidnappers of the Turkish School Girls in Ogun and Lagos States,
- Arrest of the kidnappers/murderers of Barrister Sherif Yazid along Abuja-Kaduna Express road,
- Arrest of the most notorious kidnapping kingpin in Kogi State, Halti Bello, and 20 of his gang members, the gang had been terrorizing Kogi State and its environ for many years, who also kidnapped and murdered one Istifanus Gurama a senior staff of Dangote group,
- Arrest of more than 15 different gangs of kidnappers totaling over 300 kidnappers and recovery of over 200 AK47 rifles and other dangerous weapons used in terrorizing Abuja-Kaduna-Kano Highways,
- Arrest of kidnappers/murderers of the Production Manager of Niger Delta Petroleum Resources Limited Mr. Ubani Onyema in Port-Harcourt, Rivers State,
- Arrest of the most Notorious assassin in the South-west Ade Lawyer and his gang responsible for series of killings in various parts of Lagos State and South-western Nigeria,
- Arrest of the Kidnappers of Isheri Landlords in Lagos State,
- Arrest of the kidnappers of 80 -year old Chief Felix Ogbona in Aba, Abia State,
- Arrest of assassins and masterminds who gruesomely murdered Mr. Uba Emmanuel aka Onwa in Festac Town, Lagos State,
- Arrest of kidnappers of Dr. Alex Pepple in Port-Harcourt, Rivers State,
- Arrest of the kidnappers of Ikorodu School Girls in Lagos State,
- Arrest of the kidnappers of CBN Governor’s wife in Delta State,
- Arrest of the kidnappers of Ambassador Bagudu Hirse in Kaduna State,
- Arrest of the kidnappers of Serrie Leonian Deputy High Commissioner in Kaduna State,
- Arrest of the kidnappers of former Minister of Finance Okonjo Iweala’s Mother in Delta State,
- Arrest of Niger-Delta militants planning to bomb 3rd Mainland bridge/recovery of arms and explosives in Lagos State,
- Arrest of Niger Delta militants/notorious kidnappers and recovery of GPMG, Ak 47 rifles and military grenades in Port-harcourt, Rivers State,
- Arrest of notorious gang who planned to kidnap Nigerian billionaire, Femi Otedola in Lagos State,
- Arrest of the kidnappers of Oniba of Iba a first class King in Lagos State,
- Arrest of kidnappers of Hon. Sani Bello member of House of Reps/representing Mashi Federal Constituency of Katsina State (now late),
- Arrest of the armed robbers/militants who attacked and robbed Lekki, Ikorodu, Festac and Agbara Banks in Ogun and Lagos State,
- Arrest of the kidnappers of the three Orekoya’s Children in Lagos State,
- Arrest of the kidnappers of Former Chairman of Ejigbo LGA in Lagos State,
- Arrest of killers of Oyo State member of House of Assembly in Oyo State,
- Arrest of the kidnappers and killers of Reverend father Adeyi in Otukpo Benue State,
- Arrest of kidnappers of Alhaji Salami in Abuja,
- Arrest of the kidnappers of two (2) ABTI American University of Nigeria Female Students in Abuja,
- Arrest of the attackers of Nimbo Community in Enugu State and many more breakthroughs that are too numerous to mention.
- He fought armed robbery, kidnapping and other violent crimes in Lagos State to a standstill during his five years as OC SARS, Lagos State from 2010-2015. “Now he is recording tremendous successes across the Nation as the Deputy Commissioner of Police In-charge of IGP Intelligence Response Team (IRT).”